Chronic health conditions are easier to manage with home care.
A diagnosis of a chronic health condition raises a lot of questions and concerns for seniors: How will I manage the myriad of medical appointments, procedures, medications, etc.? What happens as the condition progresses over time? And most importantly: Can I continue to remain living at home?
Because it can quickly become overwhelming to consider all of the “what ifs,” it’s a good idea to take a deep breath and look at the situation one piece at a time. And the good news is, professional home care services, like those provided by Visiting Care Giving Services, can help alleviate worries and provide the support needed to help seniors with chronic health concerns to remain safe and well at home.
These tips are a great place to start to help a senior you love better manage life with a chronic illness:
- Be flexible and ready to adapt to change. Life itself is prone to change, but for someone with a chronic disease, the changes can occur more frequently and more unexpectedly. Simply finding acceptance with the need to adapt to whatever changes may come will help you be better prepared.
- Built a support system. Understand that caring for an older loved one with a chronic condition requires a team approach. Think through family members, friends, neighbors, and those in your religious organization who may be willing to pitch in and help with various aspects of care.
- Make the home safer. Performing a room-by-room assessment of the home from the senior’s perspective is a great way to address and correct any concerns. Look for fall hazards, such as clutter, cords, or throw rugs, as well as ensuring sufficient lighting, grab bars, and any other home modifications that are necessary now, or that will be as the disease progresses.
- Learn as much as you can. Educate yourself on the condition(s) to fully understand what the senior will be facing, and don’t hesitate to ask the medical team any questions or for additional resources.
- Prepare or update important documents. Ensure the senior has a living will, power of attorney (both for financial and health care matters), a DNR if appropriate, etc., and that all paperwork is organized and stored together where you can access it when needed.
At Visiting Care Giving Services, the top providers of senior care in Chesterfield and the surrounding areas, we’re here to walk beside seniors facing chronic health conditions with the trusted, exceptional home care services they deserve, and to provide family members with the peace of mind they need.
We offer a free in-home consultation to allow you to raise any concerns and we prepare a customized plan of care to address those concerns, recommending senior home care services such as:
- Assistance with personal care needs: bathing, showering, getting dressed, etc.
- Transportation to medical appointments and enjoyable outings
- Running errands
- Meal planning and preparation
- Respite care to allow family members to take regular breaks from care
- Friendly companionship
- Home health services
- And much more
Call us at (636) 493-9058 to arrange for your in-home assessment, and to learn more about how senior care in Chesterfield can provide just the right level of support to help an older adult you loved continue to live and thrive where it’s most comfortable: at home.