Respite care is crucial for the wellbeing of family caregivers.
We all want what’s best for the older adults we love, and that’s especially true for those who have dedicated their lives to caring for a senior loved one at home. Caregiving is a selfless, challenging, and intensely rewarding experience, and taps into our reserve of patience, compassion, empathy, and stamina. If we’re not careful, it can drain those reserves, leaving us at risk for serious health complications ourselves, such as caregiver burnout, which becomes evident through symptoms such as:
- Frustration and/or anger directed at the person in your care
- Difficulty focusing on tasks or remembering appointments
- A general sense of moodiness and irritability
- Problems with sleeping
- Isolation from friends and family
Left unaddressed, caregiver burnout can lead to more serious health concerns, such as depression – and, can negatively impact the senior in your care as well.
The solution is partnering with a professional, trusted elderly care provider in Chesterfield and nearby areas for ongoing respite care services – ideally, before burnout has a chance to settle in. It’s important that respite be scheduled on a routine basis to allow for consistent breaks from caregiving duties and the opportunity to pursue relaxing, enjoyable activities.
A good place to begin is to ask yourself the following questions:
- How much time for self-care do I need? At the very least, several hours once a week is beneficial, and ideally, more frequently. Additionally, you may want to factor in vacations, or even just several weekends where you can get away for an extended period of time. Having consistent respite care each week will allow the senior and caregiver to form a bond, and for you to gain the confidence and trust you need to be able to step away without anxiety or concerns.
- How can a respite caregiver help? Think through the tasks you perform for your loved one on a daily basis, such as preparing meals, cleaning the house, helping with baths and toilet use, medication reminders, memory assistance, companionship, etc. Create a list that can be reviewed by the respite care provider of your choice.
- Where can I find a caregiver I can trust? Rather than scrolling through “help wanted” ads and choosing an individual who is looking to offer care for seniors at home, it’s always best to partner with a professional Chesterfield home care agency, such as Visiting Care Giving Services. Confirm that they run full background checks, provide liability insurance, and that their caregivers are employees of the agency. Also, with a professional agency, backup caregivers are available in the event that a primary caregiver becomes ill or is otherwise unable to provide care.
Visiting Care Giving Services, a provider of elderly care in Chesterfield and surrounding communities, offers the trusted respite care services that help family caregivers take time for much-needed self-care. Call us at (636) 493-9058 for a free in-home assessment to learn more about how we can help you, and to see if our services are available in your area.